Monday 14 July 2014

Some musings on my first ever Olympic distance triathlon.

I'm hoping to write a race report but I'll give you some of my conclusions from Sunday's Olympic tri in Weymouth.

1. I need to do more sea swims - tide and waves were brutal.
2. I need to do more cycling - if fitter I'll be able to claw back time from swim and run.
3. I need to get stronger - I nearly dropped my bike in T2 cos I was so knackered with flippy floppy arms.
4. I need to be fitter.
5. Even knackered I still enjoyed it.
6. I love eating a huge meal after competing.
7. I loved my Miche massage this morning even more than usual.

So plenty of food for thought.

My own timings
1500m sea swim 56.42.87 but I must have swum at least 2k and trod on a jelly fish.
T1 5.24.60 but that was from the beach to getting on bike.
23mile cycle 1:58.02 but need to work on nutrition - more gels taped to bike will be needed.
T2 1.28.70 - I had to sit down to put my trainers on cos so tired.
10k run 1:23.03 - such a pretty run through the nature reserve. But boy oh boy was I utterly cream crackered by the end. Had to walk up the hill.

I of course did much whooping when I finished. Love finishing. It's such an amazing feeling of total achievement.

Biggest learning though... I should have spent at least 10mins stretching - I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been so stiff this morning if I had :)

Great day out.
Today was massage, commuter cycling, work, gardening, TdF highlights and now bed.

8 weeks to the half ironman. Eeeeek :)

No comments: