Monday 15 July 2024

This time last year…

I think I'd just arrived at A&E
Was on a gurney in a corridor between the ambulance bay and A&E proper 
Because Southampton General Hospital is part of the University of Southampton I had access to the staff wifi and although Annabel had taken my work bag I had my phone and portable charger with me so I had plenty of stuff to do

Once admitted to a bay, Annabel could join me and 5 hours later I was admitted to the holding ward for Orthopaedics before being admitted onto an actual ward afternoon of the 16/7/23

What a year!!!!!

A year of learning to walk again
Being in a lot of pain 
Being overwhelmed with the love of my friends and family - I really am totally and utterly blessed 🥰

3 months off work
3 months phased return 
Going from being able to walk 6 steps with a walker to crutches to one crutch to no crutches by early January 2024 to posting my first sub 40minute parkrun this weekend 
From clambering onto the stationary bike via launching myself off the bed to finally cycling outside once the clocks did their thing in April 24 as the days were lighter and the weather warm and dry. 
From being terrified of walking on the slick poolside to finally being brave in November 23 and getting back in the pool to my first open water swim at Ellingham last month June 24

My accident and recovery has been a huge part of this last year for me. 
Whereas this next year will be rebuilding my strength, my conditioning, my mobility as I start training for a sprint tri and a couple of 10ks while I plan how 2025 will look like

I'm hoping it'll include at least one half IM / middle distance race. I still don't know if I'll get back my full ironman fitness but I'm certainly looking forward to finding this out over the next couple of years 

#Outlaw26FingersCrossed
#LizzieRestartsGoingLongVerySlowly 



No comments: