Sunday 30 June 2013

I've completed the Eastleigh Open Water Sprint Triathlon!

Wow. Done.
So how was it?
Great fun!

Only had about 5/6hours sleep as so excited. Got to katherine's by 6.45 and we were enroute by 7.10am. Ended up parking in the concord club and joined the queue for registration.

Set up transition and only had to go back a couple of times to check everything was in order. We then had about 45mins to chat. Lovely. Nice and warm, sun coming out.

Wave 5 and we headed down around 8.45ish. Watched the wave before us and waved and cheered Pam as she entered and left transition for the bike leg.

Didnt really like the swim. Just find it hard work - don't really like swimming. Did mainly crawl but also quite alot of breast stroke but I knew I would take about 15mins which in thw grand scheme of things isn't that bad.

Decided not to wear socks - don't think I'll do that again - feet fine but by the end of the run I could feel my feet starting to rub abit. Flaffed about doing zip of gillet up but was out and running to the mount line within 3mins. Waved at chums but mainly focused on getting to the mount line and heading off. 20k cycle, two laps. Was okay.

Had a mini malt loaf snack and has to stop to do up gillet but overall I was making good time. Waved and said hi to Katherine and Suzanne enroute. Was getting abit tired but did the cycle in less than an hour.

Dismount and ran back to transition. Feeling okay. T2 was very fast and was off on the run within a minute!

Bumped into Suzanne on her second lap - going strong but just wanted to finish! Cheered as I swung round for my second lap. I didnt stop once but boy did I want to. Tired, thirsty and hot. Smiled at the marshalls and with every step I was getting nearer to the finish. I even managed a little sprint and was utterly amazed to look at my watch - 1:40:26 - nearly 20mins under 2hours!!!

Lots of congratulating each other, taking pics and reliving the race.

Finally collected the bikes and had luncheon in trego lounge, portswood. A wonderful morning. I'm now a sprint triathlete!

400m open water swim
20k bike ride
5k run.

1 comment:

dcp said...

Excellent effort Liz. Well done. Amazing :)