Sunday 12 May 2013

Southsea duathlon Sunday 12th May 2013

Blimey! Brilliant fun. Really lucky with the weather - sunny, warm, bit windy - lovely.
Stayed at mate's in southsea Saturday night as trains from soton Sunday morning wouldn't get me to the start by close of registration at 7.50am - the lifeboat station just by the Hayling island ferry.

Tri buddy Suzanne also did the event so it was fab to chat with her and mate Rachel before the start. Plus Rachel was able to look after her bag and take pics of her as well.
The event started promptly at 8am. 5k run along ferry road then a couple of kms along the sea front - so very very beautiful!
Tried to make sure I paced myself as had the cycle plus run again so didn't want to run out of steam before the end of the race.


My 5k time was 30:33.50
I think that could be a pb.


T1 - hilarious - was 11:05.59 as it included eating jelly beans on the ferry over to Hayling island!
The cycle was out of this world beautiful. Amazing views of the water, rolling hills, boats, marsh land. I really wanted to stop and take pics but didn't.

Very glad I'd printed off the directions as there were maybe 4 marshalls for the entire 23kms stationed at particularly pesky and complicated spots. All other directions were following tiny fluorescent pink and yellow little arrows. Quite a few of us shot off in the wrong direction a couple of times - Suzanne even ended up on the A27 instead of the cycle lane - she climbed over the barrier pretty blinking sharpish once she realised!!


Cycling back to transition I couldn't quite  believe how quick I was going!
23k in 64:03.32

Much quicker than I thought I'd do. The getting off the bike and staggering into transition was hysterical - could barely feel my legs.
The second 5k felt so slow - especially first km or so. Felt like I was running in treacle. So tired. So slow - or at least that's what I thought..
.
As I staggered across the finish line and stopped my watch - I could not believe the time...

My second 5k was done in 33:29.31
Stunned.

Thourally enjoyed the event, excellently organised although I was very glad I had a printed copy of the cycle route with me.

Warm down walk to the 10th hole cafe for a well deserved mug of tea, bacon butty and cake. Yum.

1 comment:

dcp said...

Blimey! Wow! Go girl!

Feel I maybe need to start my running again. Not been since a week after the Ashtead 10k last year. Mark goes out about 3x a week. You are all putting me to shame.