Sunday 21 May 2017

Swashbuckler standard distance triathlon

K
Who doesn't love a 3:45am alarm call?

Poor old Suzanne, she didn't need to get to Bucklers Hard till 6am but I had to be there by 5:30am so yay, both eating breakfast by 4.25am

I started 6:15am
Not cold, loads of tiny jelly fish, the lovely jackie from work in a safety kyack, salt water, a current and 110 in a mass start. Fun! I really struggled on the first up and out - 18minutes. At that rate I'd be swimming for over an hour. Was quite worried. Neednt of worried. The down and back was a water slide. And repeat. Swim was 1300m 45mins

The 400m run jog walk to transition was bonkers. My legs felt so weird. And omg so many stc club members marshalling. 

The cycle was lovely. Beautiful ride. 40k in 2:01 - happy with that. Had a couple of nervous moments when I wondered if my bell would move a gaggle of New Foreat ponies from the road but they moved without any help from me. And then one new foal had a black beauty moment galloping along the side of the road. Needless to say I was humming the tv theme music for ages.

Got in a slight pickle as I entered T2, going all over the place with my bike. Thank goodness technical official Jan was on hand to point me in the right direction.

I thought the run was very pretty. Long. 7miles, but oh so pretty. No pics as I'm trying not to stop to take pics and then upload to Facebook but take it from me - gorgeous views. I really should have put sun cream on. I'm rather bright pink. Oops. I think about ten middle distance fast boys passed me on my run including the race leader at the time stc club member Matt. Wahooooooo:)

I was running at my marathon pace and did some walking but brilliant brilliant fun. Time was 1:30 
Much whooping and cheering (from me) as I finally arrived at the finish. 4:27.35
I'm pleased with that :)
Absolutely dead last in the standard distance by about 17mins but loved it.

I then got to cheer in most of the middle distance competitors and all of the stc club members racing. Loved it. 
Drank water, ate my packed lunch while cheering and clapping in between chit chatting with club members. Fun. So much fun.

Pics are of me just finished. All my kit dumped on my lounge floor. My newest medal on display.

I'm now utterly shattered. My core is so painful. I'm hobberling around as if I've aged about fifty years. In fact just getting out of my armchair is a struggle. 
Love triathlons :)

No comments: