Sunday 16 July 2017

Bustinskins standard distance triathlon - sea swell fail

Was so excited for this triathlon. Me and Suzanne stayed over at Jenny's last night as we needed to be on the road by 5am as bikes needed to be in transition by 7am.

The sea looked lovely. Weather seemed perfect. All was great.

And then i started swimming. 
1500m is a really long way when doing it in one huge loop! Plus, Hello... Who ordered the sea swell?? I felt so sea sick :( I lost all strength in my arms. I defaulted to breast stroke. I seemed to be going nowhere. 

So i had a little think and assessed the situation. I decided i just didnt have it in me to continue the swim. Felt an immediate sense of calm and beckoned over one of the safety kyacks. 

OMG 
I was then the lead performer in a five minute comedy sketch entitled "trying to haul myself up and in to the safety boat". 

I'll paint you the picture...
Imagine if you will a seal in prescription goggles wearing a little green swimming cap. Now imagine said seal trying to leaver herself using her useless floppy fins up the side of a boat. 
Hilarious!!! 

So i then used the kyack as a half way staging post to then be hauled into the boat. NB - in transition i'd applied a very generous layer of vasoline on neck, wrists, ankles so i was rather slick...
The poor chap in the safetyboat didnt have quite as much traction as he maybe thought he had for hauling me into his boat. Siiiigh. 

(Both he and the kyack chap were lovely and the buskinskins gang were also lovely. Just one of those things)

I cheered in Suzanne and Jenny from their swims then headed off to the cafe for a cuppa and some snacks. Had a lovely half hour / 45mins run along the sea front then back to the finish to cheer in the girls. Both Suzanne and Jenny totally smashed it!! Vichy is going to be brilliant :)

So what do I need to do?
Ear plugs have been suggested.
I'll try and get along to Calshot for some of the tri club's sea swim sessions.
I'm hoping to get to Ellingham lake next Sat morning 
Will try and swim after work as much as possible
Need to sort out my HOWL membership as i'll be over in Wide Lane in the middle of Aug so easy to swim before work Tues morning and after work Thursday eve.
And of course to keep getting to as many of the coached tri club swim sessions as i can.

Ultimately though i need to do longer swims where i'm not able to have a cheeky rest by hanging onto the side of the pool after every 100-200m. 

Lizzie Lou needs more time in the water :)

Weymouth was lovely today. 
Still had such an awesome morning and afternoon. 

Plus lets face it, who wouldnt relish the excuse to add 'go to the beach alot more' to their training plans???!!!

No comments: