Sunday 11 September 2016

New Forest Half Marathon 🏃

I'm writing this while sat in my arm chair, legs up, watching the NFL. I am knackered. And sore!
I'm walking how I'll be walking in 2046 :(

However,  what a fantastic day!

Cycled out to Brockenhurst - 12miles in about an hour. Met Toby at registration and enjoyed a good half hour or so with Toby before he headed to the starting pen for the marathon. He's hoping for four hours!

I then found the Runcamp tent and got myself ready for the half. What a beautiful route. I love the new forest, so pretty much anywhere will be gorgeous. The Ornamental drive round by Rhinefeld (sp) though is pretty special. I had to be careful when I jogged past the largest Redwood tree in the UK as I was running looking at the tree canopy and not where I was running. Hmmmm, done that before :(

Thanking marshals, chatting to fellow runners, loved that the drinks stations were staffed by brownies, guides and cadets - they were all awesome.

I felt great. Only walked at the water stations. Ankle fine. I was flying!! Well I was doing consistent 12min miles.

And then i got to ten miles. Eeeeeeek. Basically I stopped feeling fine and started feeling very sore and tired and achey and everything started to feel a bit painful. In fact just like the Weymouth Half Ironman it hurt less running than it did walking. Tough tough tough last three miles - but still chatting away, thanking marshals and loving the views :)

And then I had just a mile to go.

Stopped to hug Esme, Rufus, Karen & Jo while in the finishing straight. Then I concentrated on whooping, arms aloft as I crossed the line. Sub three hours. Bloody delighted.
2:50.17

So sore.
Hard to walk.
Loved the banana.
Back to the gang to cheer in Toby - 4:06 - what an amazing time!! Rufus and Esme very proud of their daddy.

Lovely half hour or so chatting while they headed back.to their cars. I then went back to the Runcamp stand to have my packed lunch and drink tea. Decided to cycle back around 3:30/4pm.

What a fabulous day.

24miles of cycling.
13.1miles of gentle running.

No comments: