Wednesday 29 July 2015

Thunder Run - great fun :) sprained ankle not so much :(

It's nearly 8am on Wednesday 29th July, and I'm sat in my arm chair in my living room with my right foot stuck in a bucket of iced water while catching up on some TiVo recordings. Good times.

We had a hoot at Thunder Run, two runcamp teams, eleven of us camping, enough snacks to sink a battleship, twenty four hours of running and a 10k route to do over and over again. Luckily it was very beautiful. Unluckily for me it was also quite treacherous when dark with tree roots and other obstacles.

I managed three laps but had to call it a day when I lost concentration for a nano second while people passed me in the woods at night. I looked up to see who'd passed me and being British probably apologised. My head torch was then shining UP. ***Error***. As I then put my right foot DOWN without seeing where it was being placed :(

Needless to say my right foot didn't find solid ground, it found instead a tree root or a dip in the path. My ankle got turned. I may have sworn as I hugged the tree.

I then hobbled the rest of the 3-4k left of the course. Aaah well. Sad face. My thunder run was now over :(

Spent 11pm - 4:15am sat in a camping chair with my foot up, ice pack on and blanket over me. Totally surreal night of Runcampers coming and going. Great fun.

My three laps were
1:18
1:16
1:25

My runcamp team did 21 laps = 210km, the others did 230km. Not a bad haul in 24hours, especially if you add Sarah's 20km done for one of the LRR teams that was a person down.

460km done in 24hours!!!!

Premier Inn overnight Sunday for rest and recovery and a lovely bath.

Physio booked with Runcamp Coach Steve for Friday so should have a better idea of recovery time and what running I'll be able to do and when. I think the Ryde half marathon maybe knocked on tbe head though :(

Siiiigh.

As a runner, injuries are always a possibility. I guess how you handle them is the key.

Let's find out how I do!!!!

No comments: