Sunday 17 February 2019

Figuring out ways to train smarter

So pleased about the cycling I was able to do this weekend.

Saturday's 20miles included cycling alongside the Basingstoke canal. Beautiful but not very practical - lots of pedestrians, some muddy bits. Still got to Ashtead though in just under one and a half hours.

Sunday - stayed on the A245 all the way to Woking. Much quicker - at least 15mins quicker. 
Left debs 2:40pm, was on the platform at Woking by 3:55pm. 
Caught 4:07pm train.
On bike leaving Eastleigh station by  5pm
Walking into my flat by 5:40pm
Three hour journey door to door. 
20miles of cycling done
Absolutely delighted. 
Had panniers and trainers so pace wasn't speedy - wasn't slow but def could have gone faster. 

This has shown me a couple of things...

1. To think outside the box with training - how much more cycling can I do whenever, for instance, I think about getting the train...

2. A 15mile cycle is I think the Parkrun equivalent for cyclists. It's shown me I can do a lot more "a bit longer bike rides" without having to earmark hours for long training rides. Time in the saddle. Getting fatigue in the legs. Building endurance. 

I'm starting to get quietly confident about my Lakesman half IM training :) 

No comments: